Education & Training
- M.A. Linguistics with a Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. Latin American Studies, University of Pittsburgh
ESL and Teaching Interests
- Grammar and cross-cultural communication
Presentations and Publications
- 2006 Active Listening, Second edition, Levels 1, 2 and 3. (co-authored with Steven Brown). A listening comprehension textbook series with CD, for beginning- to intermediate-level students of ESL.
- 1996 Active Listening: Expanding Skills for Understanding (co-authored with Marc Helgesen and Steve Brown) . A listening comprehension textbook with audiotape for intermediate students of ESL.
- 1995 Videotape: "Cross-cultural Communication" (co-authored with Steve Brown and Cora Kaylani). Developed through a grant from University Center for Instructional Resources (currently known as CIDDE, Center for Instructional Development and Distance Education); video examines cultural differences in interaction styles for use in teacher-training and ESL classes.
- 1988-1989 Words for Students of English (co-author). University of Pittsburgh Press (now published by University of Michigan Press). Vocabulary series for ESL students.
- Latin America (Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Chile), Japan, Germany, England
- Spanish, Portuguese, German, French, Japanese
- English and Scottish country dancing; biking, hiking and cross-country skiing